Post-graduation work permit (PGWP)

What is Post-graduation work permit (PGWP)?

  • A post-graduation work permit (PGWP) is given to those applicants who have studied in Canada from a Designated Learning institution and now want to temporarily stay and work in Canada. Not all institutes in Canada are DLI’s. For a complete list of Designated Learning institutions, Click here.
  • An applicant after qualifying from a Designated Learning institution and receiving final marks has 180 days to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) .
  • If a candidate study permit has expired before receiving final marks, candidate can either:
    1. Apply for a visitor record, or;
    2. Leave Canada and then apply for post-graduation work permit (PGWP).

  • Duration of Study Permit:

    Study program LengthDuration of Post-graduation work permit (PGWP)
    If Study program is Less than 8 months Not eligible for post-graduation work permit.
    If Study program is between 8 and less than 2 yearsPost-graduation work permit is valid for the same length as the study program
    If Study program is 2 years or longerPost-graduation work permit is valid for up to 3 years
    If applicant has done more than 1 programPGWP after combining length of each program is given, if each program was at least 8-months long

Eligibility requirements for Post-graduation work permit (PGWP)

Following can apply for a PGWP
  • Applicant who has a valid study permit.
  • If the study permit has expired, then those applicants who have a valid visitor record.
  • If the applicant already submitted an application to extend study permit, but, the decision on the same is still awaited.
  • If the applicant already submitted an application to change status as visitor before expiry of study permit, and the decision is still awaited.
  • Applicant must also have the following:
    1. must have completed a study program at a DLI, for which minimum length of program was 8-months, and which led to a degree, diploma or certificate.
    2.must have maintained full-time status as student in Canada.
Following can not apply for a PGWP

Following applicants can not apply for a post-graduation work permit:

  • Applicants who have already received a PGWP.
  • Applicants whose studied English or French as a second language.
  • Applicants who have taken courses of general interest or self-improvement.
  • Applicants who have participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by Global Affairs Canada.
  • Applicants who have got the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, an MoU between Canada and Chile.
  • Applicants who have participated in the Canada-China Scholars’ Exchanges Program.
  • Applicants who have participated in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program.
  • Applicants who have completed the majority of a study program by distance learning.
  • Applicants who have completed a study program at a non-Canadian institution located in Canada.
Special Cases

Following applicants can also get a PGWP:

  • If applicant completes the study program from a DLI in less time than the normal length of the program, applicant is still eligible for PGWP for full length of the program.
  • If applicant completes less than 50% of study program through distance learning, PGWP can still be given which shall be equivalent to length of both the programs combined. Herein, it is to be noticed that any distance courses completed outside Canada won’t be included in the length of the PGWP.
  • If the applicant has taken authorized leave for up to 150 days from the study program and the applicant still meet the conditions of his/her study permit.
  • If an applicant has transferred between designated learning institutions, then for to be eligible for PGWP, combined length of studies must be at least 8 months.
    * If a transfer happens from Non-DLI to a DLI, then only time spent at DLI will be counted.
  • If applicant has overseas component in his study program, then only PGWP for the time spent in Canada, shall be given.
Contact Us

Start Your Canadian Journey Today

Get Free Canada Assessment

Get yourself evaluated today in less than 12 hours.

You can apply DIRECTLY for Canadian PR. 

Get all study visa related assistance from us. 

Apply for work-permit today.

Sponsor your Family.

Start your Own-Business in Canada.

We provide Post-Landing services as well.

              So, what are you waiting for? Start Today.